Web design and development, digital project planning, content creation, graphic design, illustration, proposal production and support, document design, and pre-press. Expert in both print and digital design and production.
North Carolina Division of Parks & Recreation (state parks)
August 2013 to Present
Responsibilities include content management and creation, site architecture planning and development, project management for digital deliverables, and web and graphic consultation services to stakeholders.
- Project Manager for the NC Division of Parks & Recreation’s new website development: coordinated the creation of a development team; identified stakeholders; provided consultation to program managers on requirements analysis, project scope, and development schedule. Redesigned park websites to highlight unique features and most-requested information, based on analysis of website visitation patterns, user surveys, and input from park staff. The Drupal-based website serves approximately 3 million visitors per year and is the central repository for the Division’s events listings.
- Maintain website for 41 parks and recreation areas and related programmatic areas: NC Parks & Recreation Trust Fund, North Carolina State Trails System, Federal Recreational Trails Program grants, and Federal Land and Water Conservation Fund grants.
- Coordinate with NC State Parks field staff, marketing staff, graphic designers, editors, Chief of Operations, head of Education & Interpretation, and Division Director to produce new content and ensure programmatic goals are met, within scope, schedule, budget and quality.
- Evaluate requests for new content or functionality to ensure consistency across the Division’s websites; maintain records of requests and their resolution. Counsel park superintendents and recreation program managers regarding the most effective web and graphic products to achieve their goals.
- Trained 170 users on the website, providing instruction on content creation, posting alerts and park news stories. Advise staff on best practices for textual and visual content. Created and maintain user guides for the website.
- Provide support to resolve user issues. Administer all user accounts. Provide regular ongoing training for new users.
WEB AND PUBLICATIONS CONSULTANT
2003 to 2013
Provided web design and development, content management, technical writing, and graphic design services to clients including: CCIS Intelligent Solutions; Clancy Environmental Consultants, Inc.; Compass Rose Technology; Elodie Farms; Insight Accounting Services; Marina Pottery Studio; NOAA’s Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary; Nomaco, Inc.; Perot Systems Government Services; PharmaDirections; Stony Knoll Vineyards; UnitedHealthcare.
USER EXPERIENCE CONSULTANT
UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement Retail Program
2009 to 2011
- Provided content management and design services for the program’s web portal, serving more than 30,000 users. Redesigned graphic interface to enhance usability.
- Wrote, formatted, edited, and published user manuals for agents, managers, and help desk reps.
- Established and wrote SOPs for reporting, assignment, communication, and program management processes.
- Performed testing and validation of new and revised portal processes, using Rally Application Lifecycle Management.
- Created and implemented graphic standards for visual consistency. Ensured adherence to applicable journalistic standards including the Chicago Manual of Style and the AP Stylebook.
- Designed, wrote, edited, and published weekly and monthly newsletters for program participants.
- Created brochures and other marketing material in support of the program, including illustration and photography.
- Performed issue resolution as a Subject Matter Expert for escalated help requests.
NC Department of Cultural Resources
Museum of History, Raleigh
August 2008 to May 2011
Supported NC Museum of History and historical sites cultural and recreational programs and events, including Annual American Indian Heritage Celebration, Annual African American Cultural Celebration, Tar Heel Junior Historian Association. Provided consultation to multi-disciplinary teams of curators, registrars, conservators, photographers, and media specialists to develop 2D and 3D interpretive displays and related materials including labels, signage, posters, interactives, brochures, and advertisements, and both printed and digital collateral.
WEBMISTRESS, PUBLICATION AND DESIGN CONSULTANT
College of Veterinary Medicine, NC State University
2005 to 2010
- Designed, wrote, edited, and published Food Safety Research and Response Network (FSRRN) newsletter. Gathered relevant information from multiple authors and sources to produce an electronically-available document for researchers and educators.
PUBLICATIONS DEPARTMENT MANAGER
Perot Systems Government Services, RTP, NC August 1993 to 2003
- Managed publications department and provided project management for the design and production of internal and client websites, and for technical, scientific, and policy reports and manuals, using a wide variety of applications as required by contract.
- Primary publication designer for the Environmental Protection Agency’s 2003 Draft Report on the Environment (RoE). Supervised design team of graphic designers, technical writers, and layout specialists; communicated with and presented information to a multi-disciplinary team, including high-level federal officials.
- Supported proposal writing processes in response to federal, state, and commercial Requests for Proposals (RFPs). Worked with multiple authors throughout the proposal process to ensure consistency and compliance with requirements.
- Wrote, formatted, and edited user documentation for web-based systems, including: National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Conference (NELAC), Environmental Information Management System (EIMS), State of North Carolina Youth Employment Certificate Application, EPA OARM StoreStock System.
PUBLICATIONS DEPARTMENT MANAGER
Computer Sciences Corporation, RTP, NC
February 1991 to March 1993
- Supervised the publications department for the EPA Center division of CSC. Responsible for hiring and training, and managing performance and deliverable quality for publications contracts.
- Developed, implemented, and maintained graphic standards, creating a unified visual identification for the division. Interfaced with senior management to provide services division-wide.
- Planned and scheduled all graphics department projects. Communicated with clients, vendors, project leaders, writers, and outside printing services.
- Supported documentation development including designing, writing, and editing corporate and client materials.
Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics,
University of Colorado, Boulder
July 1985 to July 1990
- Provided graphic design, technical illustration and photographic services in support of a variety of scientific journals and conferences, including the Journal of Geophysical Research, American Geophysical Union, and various National Science Foundation and NASA publications.
- Created illustrations of scientific instruments and spacecraft (Solar Mesosphere Explorer, Pioneer Venus, Galileo, Spartan-Halley) and promotional materials such as T-shirts and spacecraft labels for astrophysical events (Comets Pioneer and Giacobini-Zinner, and space shuttle launches).
Associates degree in Advertising Design, Colorado Institute of Art.
Certificate in General Management—American Management Association, through Durham Technical Community College.
Wake Technical Community College Ed2Go Program: Introduction to PHP and MySQL; Intermediate PHP and MySQL; Creating Mobile Apps with HTML5 and CSS3; Advanced Proposal Grant Writing.
Seminars and online training:
Drupalize Me Courses: Content Management; Access Control; Content Moderation Tools; Theming; References Module; Views Module; Media Management.
Build-a-Module Courses: Basic Site Building; Advanced Site Building; Theming; Front-end Development.
UIE webinars: Content Strategy for Professionals; Designing Across Devices with Progressive Enhancement; Dynamic Content with Taxonomy-Driven Design; Responsive Web Design Workflow
Digital.gov webinars: Cutting Edge Use of Drupal; Mobile Web Templates; Plain Language Writing for t; Using Top Task Analysis
American Association of Museums: Universal Design—Beyond ADA Requirements; Project Management Basics; Planning for Technology; Technology and Museum Visitor Experiences; Disaster Preparedness
International Webmasters Association
The American Communication Association
triDUG – Triangle Drupal Users Group